Mumbai: Salman Khan’s Dabangg may have proved to be such a huge hit because he has somewhat ‘Dabangg’ persona in real life too. On the occassion of actor’s 52nd birthday, we take a look at 52 stories from Salman’s controversial Bollywood career.
1. On the night of September 28 2002, Salman Khan was involved in an incident in which several homeless people were hit by his vehicle in an area of north Bombay. One man died and four were injured. Khan claims he was not at the wheel.
2. October 2002: The film star was charged with “culpable homicide not amounting to murder”. He also faced charges of drunk driving and not having a valid license. Khan is arrested but granted bail.
3. May 2015: Salman Khan was sentenced to five years in jail, within days the High Court suspended Khan’s prison sentence while he prepared to appeal his conviction.
4. Salman Khan was arrested and jailed for poaching endangered wild animals after allegedly shooting a rare black antelope near Jodhpur. [October 1998]
5. Aamir Khan was originally given the role of Prem in ‘Hum Aap Ke Hai Kaon…?’, but he refused to act in the movie, because he didn’t find the script appealing. Salman Khan who was going through a bad career phase was then signed.
6. The film recorded highest number of footfalls by any Bollywood films. And Salman Khan’s Prem got instantly popular amongst the fans of Bollywood.
7. Bollywood’s biggest Khans- Salman Khan and Shah Rukh Khan stopped talking to each other after their major fight in 2008.
8. Bollywood actor Vivek Oberoi called for a special press conference on March 31, 2003 and claimed that Salman Khan had threatened him over a series of texts.
9. Salman Khan and Aishwarya Rai’s alleged relationship was quite turbulent. According to reports, the actor had kept banging the door of Aishwarya’s house one night in November 2001.
10. Salman Khan is known to be possessive about his ladyloves. This turned into obsession when he got violent in his relationship with ex Miss World Aishwarya Rai and allegedly harassed her constantly.
11. Vivek Oberoi picked up a fight with the brat Khan over Oberoi’s then rumoured girlfriend and Salman Khan’s ex Aishwarya. Oberoi held a press conference against Salman Khan.
12. Salman Khan and his co-stars from Hum Saath Saath Hain were accused of hunting endangered chinkara and blackbuck deer while shooting in Jodhpur for the film.
13. Katrina Kaif met Salman in 2003 when she was a struggling model. Salman mentored her and got several plum film projects for the then aspiring actor. The two were in a relationship for a long time. In 2011, Katrina told a magazine that Salman was her first serious relationship. However, Katrina and Salman, too, drifted apart later.
14. The actor fought with Shah Rukh Khan at Katrina Kaif’s birthday and since then the stars have been reportedly engaged in a cold war.
15. Yet another newcomer who was launched by Salman. Link up rumours started doing the rounds after Zareen was spotted with Salman at various social dos. However all such news became history soon.
16. Salman launched an Aishwarya Rai look alike, Sneha Ullal in ‘Lucky- No time for love’ and the duo were linked up very soon. However the sizzle died down after the movie bombed at the box-office.
17. A 19 year old Somy Ali was the next one to walk into Salman’s heart. The two made for a happy couple but this one turned out to be a brief relationship.
18. Sangeeta was a Miss India who started trying her luck in films. Salman fell for this beauty queen and sister Alvira apparently play cupid. If there is one woman who Salman came too close to marrying, it was Sangeeta Bijlani.
19. Another newcomer who Salman launched. Gossip mills were soon churning with news of the two seeing eqch other. As always, they turned out to be nothing but rumours. Daisy is seen hanging out with Salman these days.
20. At 52, Salman Khan continues to remain the most sought after irresistibly charming bachelor of Bollywood.
21. Salman Khan came under severe criticism for saying during an interview to a Pakistani channel that the 26/11 attacks were hyped because “elite people” were targeted
22. Salman got his mojo back after the super success of Prabhudeva’s Wanted (2008).
23. Salman has his own brand ‘Being Human’. He does charity through the earnings he receive from the brand.
24. Salman Khan is very fond of Bollywood choreographer Vaibhavi Merchant and he think she can make him dance the best.
25. Salman calls up his mom Salma to tell her that he has finished his meal – which he usually gets it from home.
26. Salman Khan was heavily criticised when he tweeted in support of Yakub Menon in July 2015, when the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict was to be hanged. Salman had tweeted that instead of Yakub, his brother Tiger Menon should be executed. This remark resulted in a huge outrage against the actor and his father Salim Khan had to intervene in the matter. The actor offered an apology for the same and even deleted the tweet in question.
27. Salman Khan ran into trouble after his car ran into a bakery in Mumbai. One person who was sleeping on the pavement died and three others were injured in the mishap.
28. Rumour is Salman has a long time tussle with Bollywood stars John Abraham, Shahid Kapoor and Hrithik Roshan due to some unknown reasons.
29. The youngsters went crazy after the quirky hairstyle that Salman donned in his hit romantic film Tere Naam.
30. Salman Khan was far from getting any permanent relief in the blackbuck poaching and chinkara cases when he found himself embroiled in a hit-and-run case in 2002.
31. Salman is not fond of gadgets. He hates mobile too and usually keep it away during the shoot.
32. Salman loves rum and prefers that only. He does not drink any other alcohol.
33. Salman Khan loves Japanese dish, Sushi.
34. He also attracted fatwas for celebrating Ganesh Puja.
35. Salman greets paparazzi with a scowl but breaks into a smile after getting away in his car.
36. Salman had made a comeback with films like Tere Naam (2003) and Wanted (2009) but Arbaaz Khan’s home production Dabangg (2010) brought back the masala entertainer’s cult following.
37. Salman, the Devil in Kick (2014), too, created new fan following.
38. Salman Khan – along with Madhuri Dixit, Alia Bhatt and others – was slammed for performing at Uttar Pradesh chief minister Akhilesh Yadav’s Saifai Mahotsav even as children died in relief camps in Muzaffarnagar for want of proper rehabilitation. Salman Khan reacted angrily stating that they were simply doing his job.
39. Salman has imported 8 breeds of horses for his Panvel stable.
40. Salman Khan drew flak from several quarters for meeting Narendra Modi during the kite festival in Gujarat. Reports even suggested that some were asking people to boycott his film Jai Ho.
41. Salman was accused of poaching of two endangered black bucks in village Kankani in Jodhpur on 1-2 October, 1998.
42. He was also charged under the Arms Act for possessing illegal arms.
43. In the three poaching cases registered against him, the Bollywood star even served time twice in the Jodhpur Jail in April 2006 and in August 2007.
44. Salman was acquitted of all charges in the Arms Act case against him in the alleged poaching of two black bucks by the Jodhpur Court on January 18, 2017.
45. Salman also created new fun-filled reality TV with Bigg Boss. The star had been hosting Bigg Boss for many years now. Reportedly he gets paid the highest number of remuneration for the show.
46. Salman’s fixation for foreign beauties continues and this time it is Romanian beauty who seems to have captured his heart. Iulia is Salman’s current constant companion leading to speculations of the superstar’s plan to settle down with her.
47. Salman Khan found himself in the eye of the storm when he made an insensitive remark during the promotions of his 2016 release ‘Sultan’. When asked to describe his rigorous shooting schedule, the actor reportedly said that when he would walk out of the ring, he ‘felt like a raped woman’. This sparked off a huge debate with women rights activists and the public alike condemning him for such an insensitive comparison.
48. Just when everyone was certain that the two stalwart Khans could never make peace after their fallout, Salman and SRK were seen getting friendly at an Iftaar party in Mumbai. Shah Rukh Khan also visited Salman’s residence and blessed his sister Alvira at the time of her marriage in 2014.
49. Salman Khan has launched Sooraj Pancholi, Athiya Shetty under his banner Salman Khan Films and now is set to launch his brother-in-law Ayush Sharma in 2018.
50. After Salman Khan’s last two Eid releases, Sultan (2016) and Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2015), his 2017 Eid release ‘Tubelight’ proved to be a damp squib. During this period, people started questioning the star power of country’s mega star.
51. An official of the Republican Party of India filed a complaint against superstar Salman Khan for using the word “bhangi” on a public platform, hurting the sentiments of the Scheduled Caste community.
52. Salman Khan latest release ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ opened to rave reviews on Friday and the movie did cook up a storm at the box office, scoring over Rs. 150 crores in just four days. With this film, Salman has re-established his credibility and capability as the superstar of Bollywood.
Here’s wishing the Bhaijaan of Bollywood a very happy birthday and many more glorious years of happiness and success.