At least 85 students from Rani Jhansi Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya were hospitalised after a gas leak from a container in Pul Pehladpur in Delhi’s Tughlaqabad area on Saturday morning. The school is near the area where the gas leak occurred. The vice principal of the school said that 50-60 students had been hospitalised. The whole school was vacated.
Local police, PCR vans and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have been deployed on the spot. A Centralised Accident and Trauma Service team was also sent to the location. The Delhi fire service also sent two fire tenders, one Hazmat van, one breathing set van and rescue tender to the spot.
The DCP, South-East said some of the girl students complained of irritation in their eyes. He said the students were shifted to nearby hospital where they were reportedly normal.
As per the Delhi Fire Service the leak emanated from drums inside a truck parked in the depot.
According to Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia, the students are fine.
NDRF team at the school.
“85 girl students, who had complained of irritation in their eyes due to gas leakage, have been admitted to three hospitals. I spoke to doctors who told me that they are normal,” Sisodia, who also holds the education portfolio, said. He said that he has ordered the area district magistrate and SDM to launch a probe into the gas leakage incident at the container depot.
“There was an exam in the school which we have cancelled following the incident,” the deputy chief minister said.
Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare JP Nadda has instrusted central government hospitals to be ready to help those affected by the gas leak. “Central Government of India hospitals instructed to be ready to help all victims of Delhi gas leak incident. My prayers are with children and families,” JP Nadda said.