Sunjwan Army camp attack: Commandos airlifted to Jammu; operations on

JAMMU: After a group of four-to-five heavily armed terrorists stormed an Army camp in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sunjwan area early on Saturday morning, security forces are conducting operations to pin down the attackers. Para Commandos of the Indian Air Force (IAF) were airlifted to Jammu from Udhampur for the operation and another aircraft is also airborne to airlift para commandos from Sarsawa.

The terrorists who have been holed up have been surrounded by the security forces who are conducting a room-to-room search. “Room-to-room intervention is now going on to pin down the terrorists inside the Junior Commissioned Officers’ building that they managed to enter,” sources in the army said.

In the attack on the army camp, two soldiers have been killed and four others have been injured. A colonel and the daughter of a jawan is among those who have been injured.

The terrorists entered the Sunjuwan Military Station at around 4.45 am on Saturday hurling grenades and using heavy volume of automatic gunfire to attack the Army camp. There were intelligence inputs that Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) terrorists were planning to carry out an attack around the 5th death anniversary of Parliament attack convict, Afzal Guru, who was hanged on February 9, 2013 in Tihar Jail.

Taking stock of the situation, Home Minister Rajnath Singh spoke to Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Police (DGP) SP Vaid.

Reacting to the attack, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti tweeted: “Deeply disturbed by the terrorist attack in #Sunjwan today. My heart goes out to the injured & their families.”

Search and combing operations are underway near the Army camp. Security forces have cordoned off the area and educational institutions within half a kilometre radius of the camp have been shut down for the day.

Jammu and Kashmir Speaker Kavinder Gupta visited the main gate of army camp as the security forces carried out the anti-terror operation against the holed up terrorists.