Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh): Incomplete doses of injection may prove fatal for black fungus-infected patients. During the shortage of injections and medicines, if black fungus patients return home with incomplete doses of injection, they should immediately consult the hospital and the doctors. Otherwise, it may prove to be dangerous—and even fatal—if the black fungal infection reaches an advanced stage.
Just a fortnight ago, there was an acute shortage of Amphotericin-B injections and other medicines needed for treatment of black fungus-infected patients. But now, the situation is slightly more comfortable. So, the patients should now consult their doctors.
“Black fungus infection patients who returned home with incomplete doses of the injection during the days when we were having an acute shortage of injections should immediately consult us or any doctor at Hamidia Hospital. Otherwise, their carelessness could prove dangerous later as their infection may reach an advanced stage. Sixty injections are needed and three of them are pushed per day. Patients who were getting hardly one or two injections during those days should now complete their full course of treatment for a permanent cure from black fungal infection,” said Dr ID Chaurasia, neurologist, Hamidia Hospital, Bhopal.
According to medical experts, for Covid-19 patients with diabetes and for immuno-suppressed individuals, one must suspect mucormycosis if there is:
- One-sided facial pain or numbness
- Blackish discoloration over the bridge of the nose or palate
- Blurred or double vision with pain
- Skin lesions
- Chest pain and
- Worsening respiratory symptoms
Major risk factors
Major risk factors for this disease include uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, immunosuppression by steroids, prolonged ICU stay, malignancy and voriconazole therapy.
- To prevent the disease, the blood glucose level of the patient should be monitored post-Covid-19 discharge and also in diabetic patients
- Steroids should be used judiciously at correct intervals and with the right dose and duration
- Clean, sterile water should be used in humidifiers during oxygen therapy; and
- Antibiotics and anti-fungal medicines should be used correctly